Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Unbound: a new book on the future of the business of law

This book was a two-year collaboration between two Davids. David Galbenski conceived the project, defined the trends, and edited many drafts, while I organized, researched, interviewed, wrote, and designed the book. The project changed as the global marketplace changed, especially during 2008 and early 2009. I updated the book with the latest news reports almost daily until we went to press in March. It's about the future of the legal industry, the ongoing transition of the profession of law into the business of law, and the opportunities for entrepreneurs in this area.

The first interesting aspect of this project is that Galbenski, whom I've known since 1995 when I graduated law school, allowed me to write as a journalist. I supported all arguments with research, statistics, and evidence of all kinds, but I kept the language as jargon-free as possible in order to make the book accessible to a general-interest reader. And I was able to follow the evidence where it led, rather than cherrypick evidence to support some grand theme. It was a great, worthwhile experience, and I mention that because these collaborations can, for writers, be frustrating. If I'd felt my integrity being compromised, I would have walked away. Instead, I have my name on the cover. It's 256 pages, hardcover, about 5.5 x 8.5. More info at www.unboundlegal.com.

The second interesting aspect is the marketing of this book. It's rocket-fueled. When the book went to press, I felt my work was finally done. I was exhausted and glad to stop. But that's when Galbenski was ready, finally, to start. There's a big difference between the creation of the book and the marketing of the book, and that's why a book like this really needs two different kinds of people with two totally different skills. The business folks see this book as a valuable product, and they know exactly what to do with a valuable product. This book has a public-relations guy, a website team, someone mailing books out to trade journals and select outlets, and I don't know who else. As a writer, I find it a relief to see other people fired up to do this kind of work. Other people value my work on this book and are working hard, right now, to get the word out. Now that's publishing.

No comments: